Wednesday 21 March 2012

Bonjour Brighton!

"When we get back to our house can we lay out a load of ingredients we need to use up and then you cook something out of them? Would that be fun for you?" 
Of course it would! I didn't spend my teenage years watching ready steady cook everyday after school for nothing! I'm always up for a creative culinary challenge (and particularly any excuse to show off).
Naomi and Martin are two splendid newly weds who live seconds away from Brighton beach.
They were married on the same day that Richard and I met. The only significance in this fact was that the first time I saw Richard he was looking particularly dashing in a suit. In fact come to think of it, I also happened to be wearing a suit then, and a top hat, as we met after the wedding at a Halloween party where I had decided to dress as an undertaker. 
Anyway, back to the kitchen! Richard and I arrived back at Naomi and Martin's to find a whole host of vegetables, jars and tins laid out on the dining table. I requested a piece of paper and a pen and after a moment of deliberation I somehow managed to scribble down a very vague 2 course menu for 4. 
Everyone chipped in and we made corn cakes with refried beans followed by mushroom chilli with rice (which was more of a ratatouille in the end). 
Whilst I was frying the corn cakes Naomi and the boys devised a little song and dance consisting of lots of shouting the letters M.I.M and "Go FOOD" with cheerleader type actions and intonations. This (not surprisingly) fast descended into tremendous fits of giggles to the point where I'm surprised we served anything at all. 
We had a lovely evening, their home is a wonderful, welcoming space, full of homemade furniture, pictures painted by family & friends and a very particular collection of pebbles from Brighton beach - selected only if they clearly resemble
a letter of the alphabet. With the letters obtained thus far Martin is able to write the phrase "gone swimming x" completely in pebbles for Naomi to discover.

No comments:

Post a Comment